The Morris CS9 Armored Car was based on the Morris C9 4x2 15-cwt truck. The chassis was fitted with a riveted hull on top of which sat an open top turret which was able to accommodate two men. The armament for the Morris CS9 was provided by either a Boys anti-tank rifle and a Bren light machine-gun.
Weighing 4.5 tonne, the armored car was powered by a 96hp Morris 6-cylinder petrol engine and provided a top speed of 45mph (73km/h). The crew of four was made up of a commander, a gunner, a driver and a radio operator. While inside the vehicle they enjoyed 7mm of armor protection.
The 12th Royal Lancers were equipped with thirty eight Morris CS9 armored cars during the campaign in France in 1940. All of these vehicles were either destroyed in action or abandon on the beaches of Dunkirk following the completion of Operation Dynamo, the evacuation of the Allied soldiers from France.
A further thirty armored cars were sent to North Africa and saw service with the 11th Hussars. However, like most vehicles developed in the inter-war years; its armor and armaments proved inadequate on the battlefields of the Second World War and was soon replaced by more modern designs.